Module 1: Introduction to SAS for Windows and Review of Basic Statistics
About the Course
This course introduces statistical computing using Statistical Analysis Systems (SAS). The emphasis is on manipulating data sets and basic statistical procedures such as t-tests, chi-square tests, correlation, and regression. SAS is a statistical package and a programming language. As with any language quite a bit of practice is required in order to be fluent.
Why take this course?
- Statistical packages help to process the wealth of data collected in scientific research.
- SAS is a very useful statistical package – one of the best.
- SAS is used in: medical research institutions, academic institutions, pharmaceutical industry, financial institutions, etc.
- This course is a prerequisite for BS805, BS820, BS821, BS851, BS852, BS853, and BS858.
Statistics with SAS
Statistical knowledge is crucial to understand and interpret SAS output. Although several statistical concepts and methods will be reviewed, this course assumes that you have completed an introductory course in biostatistics or in statistics. Please see the instructor if you have not fulfilled this requirement.
After completing this modules, the student will be able to:
- Describe the SAS windows
- Distinguish between SAS data steps and procedures
- Explain how to Run a SAS program
At the end of this module there is also a brief review of basic biostatistics.