Being tan has not always been thought of as the aesthetic ideal, but in our current culture many people seek a "healthy tan," There are some benefits to modest sun exposure, but there is clear evidence that overexposure to ultraviolet radiation in sunlight can have a number of adverse health effects. This module will provide background on the history of tanning and the related health risks.
After successfully completing this module, you will be able to:
- Explain the relationship among infrared, visible, and ultraviolet radiation.
- Explain what is meant by the "UV Index" and how to obtain daily updates about the UV Index in your community.
- Identify artificial sources of UV radiation.
- Discuss the importance of vitamin D to human health and the role of skin exposure to UVB and diet in supplying our needs for vitamin D.
- Summarize the Institute of Medicine's conclusions regarding human needs for vitamin D and the current recommendations for DRI (Dietary Recommended Intake).
- Explain how ultraviolet radiation increases the risk of skin cancer.
- Explain adverse effects of ultraviolet radiation on the eyes.
- Explain the SPF scale for sun block lotions.