After successfully completing this section, the student will be able to:
- Explain the contribution of mutations to evolution.
- Explain and give examples of natural selection.
- Explain the mechanisms by which bacteria and viruses become resistant to drugs used to treat infections caused by them.
- Explain how natural selection fosters the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- Define the following mechanisms and how they contribute to development of antibiotic-resistance in bacteria:
- Explain how soaps and detergents work to reduce bacterial count. List the steps that can be taken to slow the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.