Summary & Self-Check
Descriptive studies are useful for:
- Monitoring and reporting on the health status and health related behaviors in populations
- Identifying emerging health problems
- Alerting us to potential threats from bioterrorism
- Establishing public health priorities for a population
- Evaluating the effectiveness of intervention programs and
- Exploring potential associations between "risk factors" and health outcomes in order to generate hypotheses about the determinants of disease.